Apart from US/Canada - made products, I'm also a fan of anything Shahrukh Khan. Die hard fan. So much that my greatest achievement concerning him is to get to watch him live at the IIFA Awards in 2011 in Toronto. Now I'm, looking forward to his concert in Kuala Lumpur in October 2013, featuring "Sharukh and Friends" (I'm still trying to figure out who are the "friends"), but more on this after I've been there, done that.
This new South-Indian inspried film, Chennai Express, was much publicized, and with lead roles played by leading Bollywood stars Shahrukh and Deepika after their mega-hit highest-grossing Bollywood film Om Shanti Om back in 2008, I knew this would be an entertainer as well. I downloaded the songs 2 months before the film was released, and kept a countdown as to when (and where) it would be playing.
A few days before its supposedly release in Malaysia, I still couldn't find it on the movoie listings of any major cinemas in the country, except 2 cinemas that weren't reachable by public transport (as it was Raya season). So I actually gave up and decided to watch Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, and thought I'd just get the DVD when its out - whenever its out. So as I was on GSC' website early Thursday morning (first day of Raya, and Chennai Express release date) trying to check out the shows for Percy Jackson, I spotted Chennai Express on the listings! And immediately changed the plans and got 3 tickets (for me, the brother and the sister) for the 4pm show in MidValley. Surprisingly it was only RM12 each. I'm not complaining though :)
So after buying popcorn and drinks, and the obligatory photos in front of the poster, we settled into the well-filled hall and impatiently waited for the ads and trailers to be gone. Then it started! Entertaining right from the begining, all actors played the roles very well. There was a significant usage of Tamil, half of which I didn't understand, but most of the film was in Hindi, and quite funny. Storywise, no big deal - its just a simple story that's been dragged (fast-paced) to fit an entire 2.5 hours, but you wouldn't feel bored at any point.
Lots of things to note throughout the film:
1) How Shahrukh speaks Tamil - its cute and funny
2) Deepika's clothes - GORGEOUS! (I may get something similar for Diwali etc)
3) Songs - entertaining, catchy and addictive
4) Trademark Indian gangster styles - too funny
5) Rs 35,000 Nokia Lumia
The story progresses relatively fast, just nice. My attention was on costumes for the song sequences. The item song - One, Two, Three, Four, Get on the Dance Floor is very catchy and will make you feel like dancing, but I personally preferred other dancers than Priyamani alongside Shahrukh. The disappointing issue was that the title song was only played as background every now and then, and "Ready Steady Po" was missing from the film altogether. "Tera Rastaa Mein Chodoon Naa" was filmed only halfway too. As a Tamil film must have, the fight scenes were typical - people flying around and bleeding, yet the hero (and villain Thangabali) dont' die. And attackers strike one by one.
Overall, the movie was very funny and entertaining, it had the audience laughing a lot throughout the film. My favourite scene would be when Shahrukh looks out the Chennai express train and sees Deepika running to catchh the train, and helps her get on it with the Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge theme song playing in the background. I am still waiting for my DDLJ moment :)
This new South-Indian inspried film, Chennai Express, was much publicized, and with lead roles played by leading Bollywood stars Shahrukh and Deepika after their mega-hit highest-grossing Bollywood film Om Shanti Om back in 2008, I knew this would be an entertainer as well. I downloaded the songs 2 months before the film was released, and kept a countdown as to when (and where) it would be playing.
A few days before its supposedly release in Malaysia, I still couldn't find it on the movoie listings of any major cinemas in the country, except 2 cinemas that weren't reachable by public transport (as it was Raya season). So I actually gave up and decided to watch Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, and thought I'd just get the DVD when its out - whenever its out. So as I was on GSC' website early Thursday morning (first day of Raya, and Chennai Express release date) trying to check out the shows for Percy Jackson, I spotted Chennai Express on the listings! And immediately changed the plans and got 3 tickets (for me, the brother and the sister) for the 4pm show in MidValley. Surprisingly it was only RM12 each. I'm not complaining though :)
Lots of things to note throughout the film:
1) How Shahrukh speaks Tamil - its cute and funny
2) Deepika's clothes - GORGEOUS! (I may get something similar for Diwali etc)
3) Songs - entertaining, catchy and addictive
4) Trademark Indian gangster styles - too funny
5) Rs 35,000 Nokia Lumia
The story progresses relatively fast, just nice. My attention was on costumes for the song sequences. The item song - One, Two, Three, Four, Get on the Dance Floor is very catchy and will make you feel like dancing, but I personally preferred other dancers than Priyamani alongside Shahrukh. The disappointing issue was that the title song was only played as background every now and then, and "Ready Steady Po" was missing from the film altogether. "Tera Rastaa Mein Chodoon Naa" was filmed only halfway too. As a Tamil film must have, the fight scenes were typical - people flying around and bleeding, yet the hero (and villain Thangabali) dont' die. And attackers strike one by one.
Overall, the movie was very funny and entertaining, it had the audience laughing a lot throughout the film. My favourite scene would be when Shahrukh looks out the Chennai express train and sees Deepika running to catchh the train, and helps her get on it with the Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge theme song playing in the background. I am still waiting for my DDLJ moment :)

No comments:
Post a Comment